The Racism and Prejudice in our Society




Hi guys,

I've sat here for a few hours, not knowing how to word this post. I'm usually quite articulate when it comes to writing things down- but, given recent events, I'm so disgusted, so confused, so angry, that I don't know where to begin. I've searched up statistics, I've typed and re-typed paragraphs, but nothing seems to come close to doing victims of racism justice. 

I am a 2nd generation British Pakistani and I currently live in the Middle East (temporarily). Because of my ethnicity and race, I have experienced a few racist remarks. People mostly target the way my accent doesn't match the way I look- I have a British accent and, according to them, if I'm originally Asian, I must be faking my accent (this is obviously not the case). However, my experiences pale in comparison to others. Yes, these comments are infuriating and even humiliating, but I have never felt physically threatened because of my race. Maybe if I were darker, or had a different passport, or lived in a different country I would feel differently. Because thousands of people of colour around the world have experienced racism at some point. It might be subtle, snide commentary, like in my case. But, unfortunately, many other cases cannot be resolved by simply gritting your teeth and ignoring the racist. For many other people, such as George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery, the prejudiced beliefs of others can be life-threatening. 

I can't pretend that I know exactly how it feels to be a black person in the United States- simply because I'm not black. I can have empathy, I can help, I can feel ignorant on their behalf, but I will never know how it feels to be part of their race. And if I pretend that the casual racism that I have endured makes me understand what they're going through I would be almost as ignorant as the racists themselves. However, I do know what it's like to be a person of colour living in a western country. I know how it feels to feel unwelcome in your own country. I know how it feels to be part of an ethnic and religious minority (but the religion part is a conversation for another post). Therefore, I know how sensitive this situation is and I truly don't want to hurt anybody by saying something that could be offensive. If I have said anything that upsets you, please let me know and I apologise in advance. I'm still learning. 

I despise how helpless I feel. I'm fourteen years old. I don't have any money to donate to any of the anti-racism charities and I can't even vote for leaders that I think will help stop these disgusting racial attacks. But I do have a voice. And I'm determined to use it. No amount of words can do all the thousands of victims justice. In fact, it feels almost pointless writing this post. What's the point? It's not going to bring anyone back. Who's going to listen to a random teenager on the internet's rant?

But, by using our voices, we can help to educate people and maybe even prevent any potential attacks. We have all been given the ability to communicate how we feel, and now is the time to do so. Share your stories. Voice your educated opinions. It doesn't matter how old you are or where you're from. Next time someone makes a racist remark to you or to someone else, step in. Educate them. And stop undermining these subtly racist remarks and say they're 'just jokes'. Frankly, if you so severely lack a sense of humour to the point where you have to rely on racism to try and be funny, you have issues. 

Another thing that I think is so important is to acknowledge our privileges and use them to benefit others who are less privileged. Every single person reading this post has some sort of privilege. You can read. You have Internet access. You have an electronic device. By accepting that you have these advantages doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't mean that you're flaunting them. But it means that you know that you're in a position to help others and to help somehow make the world a better place. And it means that you should know that the fact that you have these unearned entitlements means that the world needs changing.

That's all I have to say. For now. Remember: we are all part of the human race, we all bleed the same colour and one race is not superior to another. No matter what the colour of your skin is, we need to stand in solidarity. Please share this post, comment your informed opinions/stories and, most importantly, use your voices. 

Stay safe,

Alisha xx 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things I Want To Do While I'm Young

Advice Post #2: Feeling Overwhelmed By The News

Advice Post #1: Dealing with Stress